A PRP session take 45 - 60 minutes
We do a booster PRP at 3 months followed by treatment sessions every 3-6 months. All patients require a follow up appointment at 9 months (6 months after the second PRP treatment) to determine if the treatment is working.
1. Arrive at the office and meet with Dr. Donovan to complete your consent form (10 minutes)
2. Meet Dr. Donovan's nurse who will get you in a comfortable position and take 120 mL of blood (15 minutes).
3. The blood is placed in the Angel PRP system and spun down (centrifuged) - (25-30 minutes)
4. While the blood is being spun, your scalp will be numbed up (frozen) with local anesthetics
5. You will be allowed to sit and relax for 20-30 minutes while the machine spins the blood
6. After the machine has finished, the PRP is injected into your scalp (5 minutes). 120 mL of blood taken in step 2 ultimately gives us approximately 17-20 mL of PRP for injection throughout the scalp - a volume we feel is essential in treating hair loss.
7. The scalp is then cleaned to make sure you leave the centre as similar as to when you entered. A blow dryer is used to dry the hair if desired (5 minutes)
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
Usually not. It's fairly rare to get significant shedding with PRP but any treatment that stimulates hair growth (minoxidil, finasteride, low level laser does have the potential to cause shedding).
No. PRP treatment is separate from minoxidil and fiansteride. You can potentially get benefits from PRP even if minoxidil and finasteride are not used.
PRP can do both. Improvement in density is of course the goal we hope for.
Physicians in Canada are NOT allowed to use Acell. It is not allowed in the country. Some physicians in other countries use Acell.
8) Is propecia a better option for me than PRP?
No. Propecia is a better option but side effects are much greater.
Please review our PRP Pre and Post procedure Steps
The following is the fee schedule for PRP Injections:
1 session: $ 1,500 + tax
2 session package: $ 2,800 + tax
4 session package: $ 5,500 + tax
Fees are typically $ 1500 every 4-8 months and fees of $ 650 if the patient requires a longer follow up appointment to discuss issues other than PRP (i.e. other oral or topical treatments, or blood tests or other issues unrelated to the PRP). There is no charge for the follow up appointment conducted at 9 months. The 9 month follow up appointment is conducted by Dr. Donovan and is an important appointment to determine if the treatment is working or not. Once it is determined that the PRP is indeed effective patients return every 4-8 months. Follow up appointments before each PRP treatment are 5-10 minutes in length and may be conducted by Dr. Donovan or his staff. The purpose of the follow up is to determine if there are any changes to the patient's health or any other circumstances that might necessitate pausing treatment and booking a full 20-30 minute follow up appointment.
Please contact our office first as it may be more appropriate to book a follow up appointment. Once it is determined that PRP treatments are helping, patients return every 4-8 months. The follow up appointment before the PRP treatment is assigned 5-10 minutes and is usually conducted by our office staff. They will ask about any changes to your health since your last appointment and any changes in medications. They will also enquire if you had any side effects with the last treatment. The purpose of the brief follow up before the PRP session actually starts is to determine if there are any changes to the patient's health or any other circumstances that might necessitate pausing treatment and booking a full 20-30 minute follow up appointment.
If the patient wishes to discuss issues with Dr. Donovan other than the PRP (i.e. other oral or topical treatments, or blood tests or other issues unrelated to the PRP) a 20-30 minute follow up appointment should be booked as the 5-10 minute follow up with the staff would not be appropriate in this situation. Follow up appointment fees of $ 650 apply in this situation and should be booked on a day separate from the PRP procedure day.