The Donovan Hair Clinic functions as an International Centre of Excellence for the research and treatment of hair loss. The clinic's medical director, Dr. Jeff Donovan, is certified in Dermatology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and by the American Board of Dermatology.
The Donovan Hair Clinic is built around the primary goal of providing the highest level of care possible for individuals with hair loss. All initial consultations are performed by Dr. Donovan. Our clinic is honoured to have provided care to over 10,000 patients to date, including patients that visit us each week from around the world. This past year alone, we have provided care to patients from 34 different countries. This includes patients of every age, with every hair type, including Caucasian, Asian and Afro-textured hair. We focus on developing a highly individualized, long-term plan. Following the first appointment with Dr. Donovan, patients decide whether to either carry out their treatment plan directly with Dr. Donovan at the Whistler centre or whether to return to their own physicians to begin the recommended treatment course outlined by Dr. Donovan. Many return for periodic follow up appointments at varying intervals.
We understand hair loss because that's all we do in our practice. It's what we see every day. It's what we research. It's what we teach. This area of medicine is our calling and we want to beat hair loss as much as our patients. We know the diagnostic and treatment tools needed for the fight. We know when it's worth trying and we understand the overall chances of treatment success for a given patient that comes through the door. We also understand the limitations of modern medicine and modern science and understand when we should stop a particular treatment - and when it's not advisable to start a given treatment in the first place. Our clinic routinely sees patients with some of the most complex presentations of hair loss. Everyday, we help adults and children with advanced genetic hair loss, alopecia areata, hair shedding issues, and scarring (cicatricial) alopecia. We see rare conditions on a daily basis. We see patients ranging in age from newborns to the elderly. We see patients with all skin types. We see patients from Canada and beyond.
Our clinical practice model is one-of-a-kind.
1. First, we have the skills and experience to diagnose every type of hair loss. This includes individuals with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern balding and female pattern hair loss), hair shedding abnormalities (acute and chronic telogen effluvium), alopecia areata, the various types of scarring alopecia (lichen planopilaris, frontal fibrosing, folliculitis decalvans, pseudopelade) and the rarest of genetic syndromes in children. We obtain detailed information from our patients in order to understand every aspect of their health and hair loss. We examine every patient with scalp dermoscopy.
2. Second, we have the skills & experience to connect patients with the proper treatment for their particular type of hair loss, no matter the reason for hair loss. We use both FDA-approved and off-label treatments. If a medication, treatment, technology or technique has proven useful in treating hair loss, we'll not only know about it but we'll let our patients know. We also understand what pills, lotions and shampoos do not help and what myths and misconceptions permeate the world of hair loss. No gimmicks. No fads. That's our promise.
3. Third, our clinic is not structured to sell any one particular treatment. We have no sales consultants. We don't have brochures outlining one-treatment-fix-all approaches. We don't sell hair shampoos. We are focused on asking one simple question - "what's the best possible treatment for this patient?" We want to connect patients with the best treatments possible. It's that simple. We offer a wide variety of non-surgical treatments at the Donovan Hair Clinic and connect patients with other treatment centers and specialists when appropriate - including specialists in hair transplantation, scalp micro pigmentation (SMP) or centers with expertise in the use of wigs, hairpieces or hair systems. We also steer patients away from various treatments when those treatments are not appropriate.
Our practice model puts the patient first.
What we offer therefore is simple: we offer scientifically-validated treatments along with cutting-edge, off-label treatments - geared to a specific patient's diagnosis and prognosis - that enable us to provide options for some of the most challenging hair loss conditions imaginable.
1. We believe, without exception, that all individuals considering treatment for their hair loss need a proper and thorough evaluation and guidance by a physician specifically trained in the diagnosis and treatment of hair loss. There are over 100 reasons for hair loss and many conditions are challenging to distinguish and many conditions are treated in completely different manner. Dr. Donovan has provided care to patients with all types of hair loss - both common and extremely rare. Each and every day, our clinic treats patients with some of the most complex types of hair loss. Minoxidil is not a good option for every type of hair loss. Pills, tablets, laser and shampoos are not a good option for every type of hair loss. Hair transplantation is not a good option for every type of hair loss. But every type of hair loss has potential options.
2. We believe in putting our patients first. The proper treatment is what matters to us, not the treatment that is available onsite. Our patients are given time to discuss their concerns and appropriate time is allotted for a thorough and complete examination. We not only provide highly professional care to patients but also provide care in a manner that allows us to form relationships rooted in trust.
3. We believe that there is an 'ideal treatment plan' for every patient. The ideal treatment plan must not only incorporate the physician's understanding of hair medicine and the patient's specific type of hair loss .... but must also taken into account the patients wishes, lifestyle, general health, age and finances. We work to connect each patient with the appropriate treatment based on many factors and we think broadly so that plan encompasses both the short-term and long-term. It's not uncommon for two patients with the same hair loss condition to leave our office with different recommendations. We also believe that some treatments just don't belong on any ideal treatment plan - no matter the factors discussed between the patient and physician. For this reason, you won't see low level laser therapy or hair supplements used as starting points in our patients with alopecia areata or scarring alopecia. You won't see very young patients with genetic hair loss or patients with active scarring alopecia referred for hair transplant surgery. You won't see platelet rich plasma (PRP) used as a first-line treatment for any patient who has not first considered other treatments. Surprisngly, we do recommend each and every one of these treatments in our clinic - but only to the right patient and the right time. There truly is a time and place for everything.
4. We believe we can do better. Having had the privilege of helping many individuals with hair loss, we understand the limitations of modern medicine. We see these limitations not as roadblocks but rather as platforms on which to launch new studies. We have an active program of hair research that helps us participate in a much bigger goal - to improve the way hair loss is treated in the future.
Our practice is located at 4370 Lorimer Road in the Whistler, BC. The town of Whistler is located 125 km (78) miles north of Vancouver.
With that introduction to what we're about, we'd like to welcome you to our website. We receive over 120,000 visitors every month to our website and are indeed honoured that you have stopped by. We hope you'll return back tomorrow as there will be new information in posts and articles, social media and question of the week. If you are interested, you may wish to subscribe to our blogs and you'll receive an email everyday of new information posted. Of course, you may wish to follow us on our various social media platforms where you can comment, ask questions, and share experiences. All information on this website is written by Dr. Donovan - we don't allow advertisers, ghost writers, or guest bloggers. We never have and we never will. Our website is designed for our own patients, the public, as well as physicians who treat hair loss. You'll see how we balance all three of these throughout the website. It's not, however, a manual for treating hair loss - anyone with hair loss should see a professional for proper evaluation.