The following are our pre and post procedure instructions for patients undergoing platelet rich plasma treatments at Donovan Medical. For a PDF printable copy click here.
Pre – Procedure Instructions & Tips
We are looking forward to seeing you soon for your PRP session at Donovan Medical. Please plan to be here about 60 hour to 90 minutes Here are a few pre-procedure instructions that we find help optimize the results of the PRP.
DIET AND FLUID INTAKE
· Please increase your intake of fluid the day before your procedure by simply drinking 2 glasses of water in the morning before your PRP session, 2 glasses at lunch and 2 glasses at dinner. (Please don’t drink water too late in the evening or you’ll be up using the washroom at night)
· On the actual day of your procedure simply have a bottle of water (500 mL) before your session.
· Please eat a normal breakfast or lunch the day of your PRP session.
· Feel free to wash your hair the morning of the PRP session (or at least the day before)
· It is fine to color your hair up to 3 days before the procedure
· Discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids and least one week before your treatment.
· Please stop multivitamins one week before your procedure as well.
· It’s fine to continue iron and vitamin D.
ALCOHOL & SMOKING
· Avoid alcohol for three days before your PRP session
· If possible, stop smoking or limit smoking for three days prior to your procedure. The more the better as we find it really impacts on the healing process!
· Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Iburprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti inflammatory medications for 3 days before your procedure (if possible please avoid for 7 days). We want inflammation to occur – as this is one mechanism by which PRP works! You may take Tylenol for any pains, discomforts or joint pains you may have.
Post – Procedure Instructions & Tips
Congratulations on completing your PRP Procedure. It is not necessary to make many changes in your plans today – do whatever you wish with the exception of avoiding aspirin advil, and alcohol. It is quite normal to experience some mild soreness and rarely swelling, Not all individuals experience this, but it can occur. Let us know if you have concerns and need our help.
EMAIL: email@example.com PHONE 905 752-9907
· Please shampoo your hair tomorrow morning with any shampoo you wish
· It is fine to color your hair three days after the procedure
· Wearing a hat today is fine if you wish to. In fact, please limit sun on the area for 2 days.
· Do not use blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids and least one week after your treatment
FOODS & CAFFEINE
· Avoid alcohol, cigarettes for the next three days.
· Avoid smoking for three days (if possible) – we find it makes a big difference to healing.
· Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Iburprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti inflammatory medications for 3 days after your procedure (if possible try for 7 days). We want inflammation to occur !