You have been asked to do a hair collection. The test was introduced to quantify the amount of hair lost under standardized conditions. It is a non-invasive method to measure hair loss by counting hairs. There are two hair collections we commonly ask patients to do - a 5 day hair collection and a 120 second hair collection. Dr. Donovan would have reviewed with you already which one he wants you to perform. If you are not sure, please be sure to review with Dr. Donovan. The lab charges a fee of $ 95 + 5 % GST per sample. Please use a new form for EACH hair collection you do. Please staple this form to the bag.
Why have I been asked to do this test?
There are two important diagnoses that Dr. Donovan is trying to differentiate – one is genetic hair loss and the other is telogen effluvium (TE). The wash test can help Dr. Donovan determine just ‘how much’ of each you have and plan the most appropriate treatment.
How do I perform the 5 day wash test?
Please follow these steps only if you have been asked to do a 5 day wash test.
1. DO NOT WASH YOUT HAIR FOR FIVE DAYS BEFORE THE “WASH TEST”
a. If you last wash your hair on Monday – please do the wash test on Saturday morning.
b. If you last wash your hair on Tuesday – please do the wash test on Sunday morning.
c. If you last wash your hair on Wednesday – please do the wash test on Monday morning.
d. If you last wash your hair on Thursday - please do the wash test on Tuesday morning.
e. If you last wash your hair on Friday- please do the wash test on Wednesday morning.
f. If you last wash your hair on Saturday – please do the wash test on Thursday morning.
g. If you last wash your hair on Sunday – please do the wash test on Friday morning.
2. On the day of your wash test, please wash and rinse your hair in a basin (sink) whose hole is covered by gauze to entrap all the lost hairs. You may shampoo and rinse and wash your hair normally, just be sure to trap all the hair with the gauze.
3. Complete the order form and staple it to the bag. Mail to the Clinic.
How do I perform the 120 second hair collection test?
Please follow these steps only if you have been asked to do a 120 second wash test.
1. First, choose a day of the week that you'll do you "HAIR COLLECTION TEST." That is the first step. Look at the calendar and circle the day you wish to devote to doing your test.
2. Next, shampoo your hair everyday for three days before doing your collection 'test'. For example, if you decide are going to do the "HAIR COLLECTION TEST" on Thursday ..... then shampoo your hair Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
3. On the day of the 'test' (before your shower), brush your hair forward for 120 seconds starting at the very back and then brushing forward.
4. Brush the hair over a white pillow case (or towel of contrasting colour) so that you can see the hair.
5. Place all the hairs that "fall out" onto the pillow case into a ziplock bag and write the date on the bag.
6. Repeat this again in 2 weeks if you like - generally Dr. Donovan likes having two samples.
7. Complete the order form and staple it to the bag. Mail to the Clinic.
Hair collections should be mailed to
Donovan Hair Clinic
4370 Lorimer Road Suite 334B
Whistler, BC V0N 1B4
*** allow 4-6 weeks for results to be sent to you ***