Hair loss before 20 - what are common causes?
Hair loss can occur at any age. In females, hair loss before 20 is not uncommon but can occur from a variety of causes. A careful examination can usually help figure out how many (1, 2, 3 or more) of the following the patient has. These include
1. Hair loss from low iron
2. hair loss from medications
3. hair loss from weight changes
4. hair loss from hair styling (heat and chemicals)
5. hair loss from early androgenetic hair loss
6. Other conditions are less common including alopecia areata.
Dr. Jeff Donovan is a Canadian and US board certified dermatologist specializing exclusively in hair loss. To schedule a consultation, please call the Vancouver office at 604.283.9299